All Things Eyelash Extensions
Hello everyone! I recently got my first full-set of eyelash extensions and it opened a whole new world for me (S/O to @abigailvictoriabeauty!)
I realized what a difference a pair of nice eyelashes can make. So I decided to dive in and learn all about the experience. After doing some research, I thought I’d share what I found for anyone who is thinking of booking an appointment.
I hope you find this valuable. Enjoy 🙂
How Eyelash Extensions Work
How does it work?
The esthetician will carefully place individual lashes on your lash line and essentially fill in the gaps of your natural lashes. For a more detailed description of how this process works, feel free to check out the video below:
Is it harmful to my natural eyelashes or my eyes?
It shouldn’t be. However, avoid pulling them out yourself because this could be extremely harmful to your natural lashes and possibly your eyes. Let them take their natural course and allow them to fall out themselves.
Is it painful?
Again, it shouldn’t be. But if it is painful or irritable in anyway, don’t be afraid to say something. The esthetician may have no idea that it’s uncomfortable for you and this could mean you are having an allergic reaction or the materials being used aren’t sterilized properly (which could lead to an infection – eek!)
The experience should be relaxing – You get to lay down, close your eyes, and take a nap if you want 🙂 Most salons have music playing for you as well.
How long will it take?
A full-set lasts usually two hours and a fill-in usually takes about an hour.
How much will it cost?
Generally, a full-set costs on average $150-$200, but you will find some that are less expensive and more expensive, it just depends on the salon.
You’ll find that fill-ins and maintenance generally cost around $50-$100, again depending on the salon.
Aftercare & Maintenance
Can I get them wet?
It’s recommended to wait 24-48 hours until getting your eyelash extensions wet. The more you avoid getting them wet at all, the longer your lashes will last, but please don’t sacrifice your daily hygiene for your eyelash extensions.
Can I wear mascara?
This is a no-no. I did find some sources that say you can use mascara at the tips of your extensions, but to be honest you probably won’t need it and it will only speed up the time in which they fall out.
You can however wear mascara on your bottom lashes if you only get the top lashes done.
How often should you get them touched up?
It’s recommended to get a fill-in every 2-3 weeks. The full-set usually lasts around one month to one and a half months.
Types of Eyelash Extensions
Every salon and estetician is different, so this varies, but some common services offered are:
- Natural/Classic: This is a more natural-looking eyelash extension application. The lashes are thinner than those used for the Volume/Dramatic application.
- Volume/Dramatic: These give you that “full” and “dramatic” look. The lashes used for these are thicker.
- Hybrid: The combination between Natural/Classic and Volume/Dramatic.
Again, this varies between salons, but some of the common materials used are:
- Mink Eyelash Extensions: The most expensive eyelash extensions and the most natural looking because they come from the tail fur of Siberian and Chinese minks.
- Faux-Mink Eyelash Extensions: Generally the most popular eyelash extensions. They look and feel like real mink eyelash extensions, but are much more affordable.
- Synthetic EyeLash Extensions: Eyelash extensions that are made from acrylic and are the firmest and sturdiest option. These extensions give a more dramatic feel.
- Silk Eyelash Extensions: If you have fine eyelashes, this is a good option for you. These eyelash extensions are softer and more lightweight.
- Volume Eyelash Extensions: A new technique. This is a combination between silk and mink. This technique uses multiple eyelash extensions per natural eyelash to give a more voluminous and dramatic feel.
Eyelash extensions are so fun! I’m excited to try more styles and see else what I can do with my natural eyelashes. It’s crazy how customizable you can make them!
The process is a relaxing and peaceful experience, so if you enjoy me-time, you’ll love getting your eyelashes done! Seriously, I took a nap during my appointment 🙂
Lastly, you’ll find it incredibly easy to get ready in the morning because you won’t have to spend as much time doing your makeup. Or you can have fun and play around with different makeup you normally wouldn’t use.
Happy lashes ladies and comment below if you have any tips or questions to add <3